AFSCME members around the country work hard to keep our families and communities safe – patrolling our streets, securing our airports and enforcing our laws. As uniformed officers and civilian law enforcement workers in states, counties and cities, at educational institutions and other areas, we proudly serve and protect every day.
National Police Week
AFSCME’s Commitment AFSCME is committed to servicing Law Enforcement officers around the country. Currently, AFSCME represents over 100,000 public safety personnel including police, correction, fire and EMS workers.
Latest News »More News »
- May 08 Alaska Trooper Wins AFSCME Award, and Governor Takes Notice Anne Sears won the Never Quit Service Award for her extraordinary service helping victims of...
- May 01 Bill Guaranteeing Health Coverage for Families of Fallen Officers Passes in Alaska After three years of pressure, AFSCME members in Alaska persuaded the legislature to pass a...
- Mar 09 In Memoriam – Kevin M. Haverly, Deputy Sheriff, Greene County, New York AFSCME is mourning the loss of Deputy Sheriff Kevin M. Haverly of Greene County, New...
- Mar 07 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on the Passing of Deputy Kevin Haverly
- Feb 02 ‘Just Do the Best You Can,’ Says AFSCME Never Quit Award Winner CSEA’s JoAnne Veneziano, winner of an AFSCME Never Quit Service Award, “is a source of...
- Nov 09 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on 2016 Election Results
- Oct 31 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on the Passing of Sergeant Allen Brandt
- Oct 19 Support Our Fallen Brother When shots were reported in downtown Fairbanks, Sgt. Allen Brandt did what law enforcement officers...
- Sep 20 Outsourcing: Higher Costs, Inferior Services For decades, there has been a rush to contract out a host of functions traditionally... (Huffington Post)
- Jul 17 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on the Shooting of Police Officers in Baton Rouge
- Jul 08 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on the Shooting Deaths of Police Officers in Dallas
- May 09 Alaska has an obligation to provide for families of those who die in the line of duty
- Mar 18 We Must Stand with Law Enforcement Officers It is a mistake to think it's the role of police officers alone to fix... (Huffington Post)
- Dec 21 Statement by Lee Saunders on the murders of two New York City Police Officers The senseless, tragic murders of two NYPD officers are agonizing reminders that the hard-working men and women of law enforcement put their lives at risk every day to protect us. (Press Release)
- Dec 01 Building Trust Between Communities and Local Police Today, the Administration announced new steps we’re taking to strengthen the relationships between law enforcement... (White House Blog)
- Aug 28 MN: County courthouse and sheriff’s support employees form union A majority of 24 employees of Hubbard County voted to form a union represented by... (Park Rapids Enterprise)
- Jun 09 Editorial: A Model for Juvenile Detention Reform States are sending fewer children to juvenile correctional facilities, partly in response to research showing... (New York Times)
- May 28 OSHA Launches Campaign to Prevent Heat Illness in Outdoor Workers
- Apr 15 U.S. Supreme Court Might Take Up Rick Scott's "Drug Test Everyone" Plan Gov. Rick Scott's plan to randomly drug test every single state employee in Florida --... (Miami News Times)
- Apr 10 AFSCME President Blasts House Approval of Budget for Wealthy AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders released the following statement following the House approval of the budget drafted by Rep. Paul Ryan. (Press Release)