To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Regional Retiree Field Organizer
|Grade:||United Staff Union - Grade 5|
|Salary:||Starts at $50,412|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||April 04, 2018|
This position is responsible for implementing all aspects of the AFSCME Retirees growth, engagement and capacity building program with retiree chapters and members in the Central Region. As the public face of the union on retiree organizing and other campaigns the incumbent must promote the vision of the AFSCME retirees to potential and current retiree members and leaders, the staff and leadership of affiliates and fellow International staff.
- Performs all activities associated with retiree organizing and PEOPLE (AFSCME’s Political Action Committee) campaigns including campaign planning, recruiting and developing leaders and volunteers, creating retiree organizing and PEOPLE committees and tracking progress towards goals.
- Writes work plans to implement overall organizing and PEOPLE campaign goals.
- Working with the Field Manager, develops and supports retiree organizing committees.
- Plans and conducts meetings with retiree chapters, subchapter and organizing committees including public speaking and conducting workshops.
- Assists in obtaining and maintaining relevant retiree lists used for organizing, which may include input and operation of database systems.
- Contributes to the development of message and tactics of retiree organizing and PEOPLE campaigns.
- Implements strategies for retiree mobilization in political and legislative action campaigns.
- Drafts and designs basic leaflets and flyers, newsletters, organizing and PEOPLE solicitations and other communications in conjunction with Communications staff and Retiree Field Manager.
- Contributes newsworthy items to departmental reports and other AFSCME Retiree publications.
- Serves as the primary contact for retiree chapter and subchapter requests and inquiries.
- Performs related work as required.
Education & Experience:
- High School diploma and 6 months to 3 years of experience in union, political or community organizing; or any combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of union organizing practices and principles.
- Knowledge of mobilization strategies and tactics.
- Leadership and motivational skills.
- Ability to plan and run meetings and actions.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Time management skills.
- Knowledge of VAN desirable.
- Bilingual skills desirable.
Travel, Driving & Work hours:
- Driving, extensive travel, temporary assignments and extended work hours are required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
**Submit resume and cover letter to: email@example.com**
Posting Date: April 4, 2018