|Affiliate:||UDWA - Riverside|
|Location:||Riverside, Riverside County, CA|
|Posting Date:||April 30, 2018|
Under the direction of the Director of Organizing and Field Services, as well as the Regional
Coordinator and the Lead Organizer, the Organizer drives the organizing and field plan of the
UDWA home Care Providers Union/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that
represents more than 100,000 home care providers in 11 counties in California. Founded in
1979, UDWA is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed
individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide and
at the national level.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop organizing skills of member organizers.
- Identify, recruit, train and develop union leaders.
- Assist the Lead Organizer in developing and executing plans for campaigns, including but not limited to, budget issues, contract negotiations, worker safety, etc.
- Develop various communication systems to effectively reach members and providers.
- Work to build coalitions with community groups and organizations.
- Maintain work files and comply with administrative reporting.
- Mobilize, turnout and engage membership.
- Union membership meetings, recruitment and PEOPLE fundraising.
- Mobilize workers around worksite issues, politics, public policy, and other issues affecting the lives of workers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive union or comparable organizing experience.
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Some knowledge of labor rights and contract language, and the ability to learn these
- Work effectively in team settings, as well as independently.
- Effectively prioritize and multi-task assignments and responsibilities.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends.
- Willingness to travel.
- Bilingual skills strongly preferred, particularly in the following languages: Spanish,
- Vietnamese, Tagalog, Russian and Assyrian.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving,
- and an automobile for business use.
- Must comply with UDWA’s Driver Policy.
To Apply for This Position:
Mail, email or fax a detailed resume, cover letter, a one-page writing sample and the name, job
title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
In subject: Title of Position (applying for)
Mail: UDWA/AFSCME Local 3930
c/o Human Resources
4855 Seminole Drive
San Diego, CA 92115
Fax: (619) 640-9903
Attn: Human Resources